Real Sao Paulo haunted by defense futility and shot innaccuracy against SF City

SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- Real Sao Paulo FC didn’t lack for chances in their 1-0 loss to SF City FC, nor did they play a conservative match last Sunday at the Polo Fields #4. The home side directed 29 shots on SF City's net against only 6 shots in the opposite direction. However, that goal never came, making SF City’s opportunistic first-half strike off defense mistake the difference on the match. Under the scrutiny of a loss, Real’s inability to finish was magnified.

In the 4th minute, first free kick for Real. The SF City defense cleared out. Kelson recovered and sent a through ball to Mauro. He open his legs and let is pass to Fabio who dribbled the defender, set it up and took a strong, low shot, but the goalkeeper was well-positioned and saved it. Four minutes later, throw-in for SF City FC. Matt cleared out and Amine sent a long ball forward. Humberto played with Kelson who passed to Fabio in the midfield. Fabio tried his second shot of the game, but the goalkeeper saved again.

In the 9th minute, throw-in for SF City. Humberto recovered the ball and played with Kelson in the right side. Kelson played with Fabinho who passed to Cris. He left it with Mauro in the left side of the box and Mauro engaged Fabio in the top of the arc. The left-foot shot was not strong enough and the goalkeeper saved again. Five minutes later, throw-in for Real. The defender cleared it out and started a counter attack for SF City. After a foul at Kelson in the midfield, the cross found the tallest player alone in the top of the arc. The header was not too strong and Marc made an easy save.

Real created another great chance. In the 16th minute, Kenni threw the ball in and received it back from Humberto. He sent a long ball to Fabio in the attack. He brought the ball down, took his time and sent a through ball to Mauro. The defender tried to protect but decided to dive instead. Mauro got the ball driblled a couple of players, but could not hit it in time and the defender recovered and cleared it out. One minute later, Real kept pressing and Kelson called one-two with Fabio, received it back and tried a shot, but it went wide off the far post.

In the 20th minute, corner kick for SF City. Marc went up to catch it and started a counter attack. SF City recovered but Kelson got it back. Mauro assisted to Fabio who took another shot and the goalkeeper sent to corner kick. After the defender cleared it out, Cris tried a shot first time, but it went over the bar. Five minutes later, great passing combination by Real. Fabinho started with Matt. To Kelson, then to Cris and back to Ricardo. He sent it to Fabio who tried to open for a shot but got intercepted by three defenders. SF City tried the counter-attack but Marc was well-positioned.

"Team that does not score takes it"...said coach Fabio. In the 39th minute, throw-in for SF City. Humberto recovered and cleared with a long ball. SF City got it back and sent a long ball in the right side to Player #22. He took it from Fabinho who tried to slide on him but could not reach the ball. He then crossed in the box and nobody was following Player #27 who took his time and scored the goal in the lower near corner. SF City 1-0.

Three minutes before the end of the first half, throw-in for Real. Cris sent it to Leandro who headed it back to Mauro. The ball hit on the defender's hand, but the referee did not call the penalty. Humberto recovered it shot it towards the goal and Mauro stopped it. He turned, shot it and the ball again hit the defender's hand. No call by the referee again. Throw-in for Real. Cris sent it to Marcos David who switched the game to Kelson who, in turn, laid it to Leandro. He crossed, the defender cleared and Marcos David laid it to Humberto. The shot was low and the goalkeeper saved sending it to corner kick.

Real came back to the second half decided to even things out. In the first minute of the second half, Leandro created a great combination with Truta (Gustavo) in the right side. He crossed the ball towards the 18-yard line and Kelson tried to head it over the goalkeeper, but it went over the bar.

In the 55th minute, throw-in for SF City. Ricardo recovered it and opened with Amine. He sent a through ball to Leandro in the center mid who left it with Truta. He then driblled the defender and shot, but the goalkeeper saved. Three minutes later, great combination between Kelson and Truta. Kelson sent a perfect through ball inside the box to Truta, but the shot was weak and the goalkeeper saved it easily. In the 61st minute, goal kick for Real. Cris played with Fabinho who gave it back to him. He then sent it to Truta who dribbled the left back, crossed it to Breno who could not head it correctly and the ball went over the bar.

Chasing the game in the second half, Real used all the substitutes. None could affect the outcome. In the 72nd minute, Kelson sent a perfect ball over the defense to Leandro, but he missed the shot and the goalkeeper saved it. Probably, the easiest chance for Real in the game wasted. In the 82nd minute, SF City goalkeeper sent a long ball to the attack. The SF City player controlled the ball and Player #18 brought it down and tried a shot from 40 yards out. The ball hit the post and Marc recovered the rebound. Two minutes before the end of the game, goal kick for Real. Marc sent the ball forward and the SF City goalkeeper caught the ball but outside the box. Free kick for Real and Fabio took it. The ball passed inches of the top bar and went out.

Despite of the loss, the mood of Real players was not overly negative. While the team is unhappy with the loss at home, coach Fabio said the players worked hard and created a lot of chances. The defensive effort was solid as well. Real's next match is against SF Celtic Reserves on Sunday 4/11. The match is in the Polo Field #1 and Real needs a win in order to remain in the first poitions.

For a more detailed game report, including video highlights and game stats, please click here.


Return To Schedule